December 12, 2008

Update

Today we had some good time. When I got to the hospital this morning Shirley was still sleeping but had a good night. Everyone decided to go to breakfast and I told them I would sit with her. I tried really hard to get her to wake up and talk but it wasn't working. But at 9:00 she was just suddenly awake and alert. It was awesome. Everyone came back from breakfast so happy to be able to talk to our Shirley. She was talking, laughing a little and was hungry. But couldn't eat because of tests she needed today. Unfortunately, they waited all day to do these tests and she was really hungry most of the day. When I came up with her from her last test, the lumbar puncture, her friends from work were there...Pat, Val and Dot. They had brought Shirley and our family all of this wonderful food and some drinks to keep there. Shirley has talked about these wonderful ladies for so long I felt like I have known them forever. But this was my first time meeting Val and Dot. I am telling you Shirley attracts wonderful people. And I guess that is how it is supposed to work. She deserves the best and she has it. Her face lights up when they enter the room. And I know they were happy to see Shirley up and awake...able to talk. I would like to actually thank everybody right now.

The comments have been very helpful and thoughtful. We do have time to go down to the family room and get on the computer and read them. Other than that, we are by her side all day. And the flowers and santas are awesome. Her room is filling up fast.

Now the bad news. Right when her dinner came (she ordered chicken and mashed potatoes), she got sick. She got so sick. Severe pain and nausea. She only got a few bites down and then she was back down. She was medicated and back trying to sleep. My brother Timmy asked "what happened, she had such a good day". And my answer to him was ..."she has cancer". No matter how much she tried to make things normal for us today, the sad news is she has very aggressive, very painful cancer. And she had to keep getting more and more medication until finally she was out for the night. Eventually everyone was gone except for Timmy, Kathy, Steve and I.

We visited for awhile and we laughed. More out of exhaustion probably but we did laugh. And then we left. On the ride home I told Steve I felt bad for laughing up there. It's not a time for laughing. It's absolutely the saddest time of my life. But the 4 of us did laugh and I guess it was a way to comfort each other.

I will sleep good tonight knowing that Kathy is up there taking care of our sister. Everyone is always trying to take care of her. I see Tommy making sure she is covered up and rubbing her feet when he is there. And Timmy just refuses to leave. He might still be there with Kathy. He is ready at any second just in case she might need something. Poor Tear is so far away and is calling for updates. I know that must be very hard. I can't even imagine.

The tests have all been done. Tomorrow maybe we will find out some news. I really am not sure I am ready for any more news. I want to go up there tomorrow and see Shirley sitting up smiling and ready for breakfast. Who knows...maybe that's what will happen.

Family and friends have been awesome support. It's easy to fool yourself into thinking this isn't even happening. But then I open my eyes and really see who is laying in that bed in front of me. And it's back to reality.

The last thing I have to say tonight is that I have been asked several times if Shirley is scared to die. The answer is no. She's not. She is sad to die. She doesn't want to leave her children or friends or family. Maybe that's what makes this the hardest. We didn't cry all day until she got sick tonight. She was so sad that her kids had to see her sick again and that made her cry. And when Shirley cries, I cry. She may have needed medication for that alone. I know that did not help. She loves her kids so much and they love her. And they are being so understanding and good right now. Shirley is an awesome mom. I always knew she would be. I had children before Shirley and at the time she was trying really hard to get pregnant. I couldn't wait for her to get pregnant. I thank God for the two children she gave our family.

Good night all. We will see what tomorrow brings.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teresa,
I just wanted to tell you and the rest of the family a few things that i see every day at work being a hospice RN. First...dont every feel bad about laughing. You,Kathy,Timmy and whoever else that is there by Shirley's side are allowed to laugh. It is "your" medicine. You are being comforted by each other. Just as Shirley is comforted by you. Shirley when she is feeling better at times is laughing right along with you. Shirley maybe sleeping but she knows you are all there at her side. Just as she would be if any of you needed her. Your answer to Timmy when he ask what happen she was having such a good day..."she has cancer" is exactly right. No matter how you slice it, it is cancer. Being up front and honest I have found is always the best. I have had families ask me "please dont tell them you are a hospice nurse" I have to tell them who I am and what I am doing. It is very hard and seems so unfair! There are really bad people out in the world still able to be doing what ever they want. But when i think about that, I always come back to this...Those bad people too will someday pass, just as Shirley,you and I. But we will be in a better place and the bad will not. Teresa, you are doing a great job. And growing up with you guys as kids, it doesnt suprise me that you are being as strong as you are. Just know that we are praying for you and the entire family. I laugh and cry just as you all are doing when I think of the silly things we all did when we came to visit you all. I love and miss you all!
Janet Anne

Anonymous said...

One more thing! I think it is Timmy's birthday today or soon! Happy Birthday Tim! Love you! You are getting old. Older than me anyway, (only by a month)
Love you! janet

Anonymous said...

I try to think of the right words to say or that might be comforting, but there are none. I am so glad for your post Teresa that keeps us posted on how Shirley is doing. You are right Shirley is a wonderful person and was always happy during the years of High School when we hung out. Shirley and I lost touch, except for the occasional run into each other at Walmart!! But I have always thought of her through the years. She has a wonderful and supportive family and she knows that you all love her so much. You can see that so much in the post. Keeping Shirley and family in my thought and prayers.

Anonymous said...

I have to thank you for this blog so we can keep up with things going on with Shirley. I have worked with Shirley for years and wish I could have went with Dot, Pat and Val to see her. I live in Ohio, so am not able to come see her, but believe me - she is in my thoughts every day, many times a day. Shirley touches many people here at work, with her laughter, dedication, loyalty, and her knowledge, she has been a part of so many things that has made a huge difference to the company she works for. I was told soon after she found out about her illness - but I could never tell. Shirley has become a friend, not just a co-worker and I know that goes for many people she works with. I can remember when she got married, she was so happy and excited and if you talked to her at work - you know about how great of children and family she has at home, she knows how to balance work and home so well. I am lost for words to say but I wanted you , the family to know - there are so many prayer chains for her that goes across at least 18 states, but I am sure many more. Her "Embarq" family will continue to pray for her and her family.
Thinking of my friend
Laurie McIntyre