December 19, 2008

Shirley Is Home

I just got home from Shirley's house. Mom and dad were there at the beginning and then it was Timmy, Steve and I. We spent several hours over there. We watched Santa Clause 2. Oh and we also watched a Christmas cartoon. So we are trying to get in the mood. She was in a lot of pain when she first got home but then she got up and around. I helped her change into her jammies around 8:00 and then we put her to bed around 9:00. She has her pain pump with her and the pharmacist came out and brought her medications. I guess the hospice nurse will visit in the morning. I know she was very nervous about going home, but she was doing really well as the night went on. I'm a little worried because she did eat quite a bit. I'm worried about how all that will sit in her tummy but we will just pray for the best. I know they can call a nurse at any time.

Tomorrow brings another day. I really am trying to slow time down but it's not working. Days are just flying by. And knowing time may be limited makes it even harder.

Shirley is so loved by everyone. And she knows that. I try to remind her of that all the time. I'm not sure she will be up for too many visitors but you are welcome to call and find out. You can call me and find out or just call her house and talk to Mike.

So now we are just thankful she is at home and comfortable. And I am grateful that when I read on the comments that you can tell how much I love Shirley by what I write. Because I know I have written this before, but the #1 thing I have learned from this whole experience is that you will never know how much you love somebody, until you are told that you are going to lose that person. The day I was told Shirley had incurable, untreatable cancer and that she may have a short time left it was like a flood gate opened up and all of this love just came pouring out of me. I knew I loved Shirley before, but I never knew how much until that day. And all of the days since then. So if anything at all came out of this blog at all...I hope it is that everyone knows how much I love Shirley. And my family knows how much I love them. I try to show it as much as I can. But I definitely will make sure that everyone who reads this knows that Shirley is my very best friend and has been for a very long time.

Again, I am so grateful for everyone who has helped support us especially this last week and a half. Val, Dot and Pat, you ladies are incredible. Thank you so much for everything you did for Shirley and our family at the hospital. And thank her co-workers so much for all that they did for Shirley's family. We can never express the gratitude and love we feel for you...and it's just for loving our Shirley as much as you do. Her face lights up so bright when you walk into the room.

Goodnight for now...Teresa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

All-

Glad to hear Shirley has made it home. Kristi and Ang and I have something we'd like to bring to Shirley and Mike. We won't stay long as we know she won't be up to it...Shirley is in our thoughts daily...she sneaks up on us before we even know it...funny thing about it...we were all talking today that we'd like to share some stories about Shirley but that aren't exactly "family" material. So the four of us will share those memories forever and maybe just thinking of them will make her laugh!!

See you soon,
Paige, Kristi and Ang

Anonymous said...

We love you Shirley!!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear Shirley is home with her family, there is no place better to be. You all continue to be in my thoughts and prayers daily.

I hope you all have a good weekend.

Teresa,thank you so much for your updates. Your are truly a wonderful sister.

Tina

Anonymous said...

Shirley,
I am so glad you are home. Your family is wonderful and just know that you are loved dearly! Love and prayers ~ Janet Anne

Anonymous said...

Shirley had a pretty good day. She is happy to be home. Thank you Karen for bringing out lunch and yummy homemade desserts today. That was very thoughtful and was appreciated by all. Shirley did have the hospice nurse come out and lower her level of flow through her pain pump. Mike did some Christmas shopping for Shirley and the kids. It was really great to see our sister Tear. I am sad that she has to leave so soon. I pray that Shirley has a good night and is in no pain. Love you Shirley!!!

Love,

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Thinking about Shirley so many times each day. It's absolutely heartbreaking to see this happening to such a truly sweet lady. I have worked with her for many years - along with Pat, Val and Dot - and you are so right that they are all amazing ladies. Just want her to know there are so many who are thinking about her and praying for her. We so appreciate this blog as a way of feeling close to her and just praying for some good news each day. Thank you for doing this. Jill Pfeiffer