December 18, 2008

Hospice

Well tonight Shirley's Oncologist came in and told Shirley and Mike and I that he feels Shirley should not do anymore treatment and go home with hospice. He feels like Shirley is too sick for anything else.

This upset Shirley and she cried a lot. It was really hard to sit there and watch Shirley listen to this doctor. It is the second time this year that I have had to sit there and watch her get the worst news of her life. At least before we had options to fight with. I feel like we are out of options. I know Shirley does too. She was sad. I really only had one question for her. I asked her if she believed in God. And of course I know she does. But I had to make her say yes she does so that we both can be reminded that he has a plan. And we are a very small part of it. I will tell you I don't like God's plan right now. This all seems so unfair. She is absolutely the last person this should be happening to.

I hope that Shirley does get to go home soon. I know they are trying. She is in a tremendous amount of pain most of the time. So I hope they make sure she is ready to go before they send her. I am really worried about that.

I didn't know back in March how I was going to handle the news we received, and the way I have handled it has been a lot of crying. Every day at work and every night when I get home. The pain has not lessened one bit. And I can't imagine having to deal with watching this cancer take her away from us. But I am afraid me and my family are going to have to prepare to do that. And I can't imagine anything worse.

So for now it's goodnight. I am going to try to sleep tonight so I can put on my brave face tomorrow and get back up there and help my family help her make it through another day.

Love,

Teresa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teresa you are such a great comfort to Shirley and your family. And you may not believe it, but I can see your strength through your post. You are right God does have a plan, AND it is okay to say you don't like it. Shirley I hope they can get your pain under control. God bless you and your family. Thoughts and prayers.

Diana

Anonymous said...

I AGREE WITH DIANA GOD HAS A PLAN FOR HER. AND TERESA IT WAS GOOD THAT SHE KNOWS GOD IS THERE WITH HER AND THAT HE AND HIS SON JESUS ARE WAITING TO COMFORT HER.
I WILL SEE YOU THIS EVENING TO HOLD YOU SHIRLEY AND MY LITTLE SISTER AND WISH I COULD TAKE THIS PAIN ON FOR YOU. I WISH THERE WAS NO SICKNESS IN THIS WORLD IT MAKES ME SO ANGRY.
I LOVE YOU SHIRLEY.
TEAR

Unknown said...

Shirley,
We are praying and thinking of you daily and check the blog numerous times each day. Just know that we are here and you are always on our minds. We love you dearly Shirley, and will continue to pray for you to be comforted by God. Even though we may not be physically there with you - just know that you are with us in our thoughts, honey!

Teresa - You are an amazing sister and person, and Shirley is so lucky to have you there with her throughout all of this!

With love and prayers,
Ang, Kristi and Paige

Anonymous said...

Hi Shirley, Aunt Connie loves you. Be strong and brave.

Love, Aunt Connie