December 30, 2008

Not Every Day is a Good Day

And that's what yesterday was. Not a good day. Some vomiting and now Shirley thinks she may have a bladder infection. So they are checking her for that. But overall, I don't think she felt very good yesterday.

I was going to wait to write until I heard how she was doing today, but I wanted to write about something that not everyone may know about. Our trip to Vegas and how that came about.

My husband and I were talking the other night about how our trip to Vegas happened. How odd that all was. Especially now looking back on it. I mean, it all happened really fast. We (Mom, Dad, Tom, Cindy, Shirley, Mike, Teresa and Steve) were all sitting on Tom and Cindy's deck talking and laughing on a summer afternoon. And somehow we got on the discussion of Shirley's 40th birthday. And then we decided that we should go to Vegas for Shirley's birthday.

Now we all have full time jobs, families, not a lot of money and don't travel a whole lot. But as soon as that decision was made, it was made. In the next couple of weeks, we booked the tickets and hotel. And then we went. And we had a great time. Steve made up shirts for all of us to wear on the plane that said "Lordy, Lordy Shirley's 40" with a picture of Shirley when she was 16 on the front. And Shirley wore a shirt that said "I'm Shirley" with her picture on it.

I look back at that and think, we have never travelled for anyone else's birthday. We celebrate but we don't do things like that. I know that trip came about for a reason. We were meant to be together for that special time. We have a lot of pictures and memories that will last forever. I thank God that we made the decision to go. And for me, it was a big decision. I do not fly. I have made a vow to never fly. But I did and it was worth it. So maybe we should all just remember, if it feels right and you really want to do it....Do it. You will be happy you did. Spend as much time with your family as you can.

I will update on Shirley later in the day when I know more. I know that's why you all come here and I will do my best. Have a wonderful day!!!

Teresa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

God works in mysterious ways. Things happen that we can not find an explanation for until later in our lives. That is great that you will always have wonderful memories of Shirley's 40th birthday celebrated as a family!

Diana

sharon said...

I love you, Teresa.
♥sharon

Anonymous said...

I believe that, too. Things definately happen for a reason. Sometimes it may make no sense and we can't figure it out..but it's for a reason, I think. Even the bad things, unfortunately. I know your heart is breaking..hang in there, Teresa..

Dusty