January 01, 2009

January 1, 2009

and today was a good day. Kathy and I spent New Year's Eve together. I really thought I just wanted to spend it alone this year but the closer it got, the more I wanted to be with my family. I am so glad Kathy came over. And then, unexpectedly, at midnight my phone rang. It was Shirley. We were all so excited. It was awesome. The kids all had a great time together.

I will always remember that when we rang in 2008 we were all together in my house having a fun party just like we had done for several years. Not knowing what the year had to bring. Happy and carefree and excited for the new year. I know now that I was very naive. You just think things will go on as they are forever. I'm not like that anymore. I don't think any of us are.

Today was spent at mom and dad's eating ham and beans. It was a really nice afternoon and a good way to start the year. And of course, I came home without my boys. They talked grandma into letting them stay until Saturday. I hope they get some work out of them.

Shirley came for about an hour. She ate a little, listened to all of us talk and then was ready to go. Mike is actually fixing her bedroom up for her. He bought her a beautiful new bedroom set and is repainting the bedroom. He figured since she was spending so much time in there, it should be how she likes it. I agree. She will love it.

Everyone will be happy to hear that Shirley was good today. Well as good as she can be. She sat at the table with us and for a little while you try to pretend like it's the way things used to be. It wasn't that long ago that Shirley was healthy and able to join in all the fun at mom and dad's kitchen table. It's not really like that anymore, but that's ok. As long as we can still hug and kiss her, it's ok. And today I could do that. I hugged her, I kissed her and I told her I loved her. So, it was a good day.

Happy New Year.

Love,

Teresa

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME!!!!I'm sooo glad you had a good day...you all deserve it..

Dusty

Anonymous said...

That is great! I am so glad you all had a good day.
As Dusty said, it is much deserved.

Tina

Anonymous said...

Happy New Years Girls!
Thinking of you and wishing you all more good days.
Love ya all,
Robin

Anonymous said...

Shirley, it was nice to read that you felt up to going over to your moms for a little while. I am sure it felt good to get out of the house, although it was also tiring for you. Teresa thanks again for keeping us posted on how Shirley is feeling. Maybe you can put some pics of Shirleys new room on the blog! I am sure she will love it!

Diana

Anonymous said...

I am in Kathy's "at work" family. I needed to comment on how much love and adoration exudes from this blog site for you, Shirly. It CLEARLY shows that you have showered light on to so many lives, like a beakon. Your family is always on my mind, heart,and prayers.
As ever,
Valerie

Anonymous said...

Hugs,kisses and prayers sent your way. Always thinking and praying that God will cover you all with his love and comfort.
Love you all,
Robin

Anonymous said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO MY FAMILY IN KANSAS.
LOVE TEAR