January 15, 2009

First Night at Hospice House

Wow, what an experience. I have never done this before and hope to never do it again. It's 10 o'clock and everything is quiet. Timmy is still here with me. Shirley is resting as good as she can. She is a little uncomfortable right now. But they have given her plenty of medicine so I think here soon she will be out for the night.

She did get sick after she got here but they have plenty of medicine here for her. She doesn't like it because it makes her go to sleep but you have to take the good with the bad. She is so weak now that it makes it hard for her to go to the bathroom. So they did put the catheter in her tonight. I think that will help a lot. She didn't like it and I don't blame her. It is what it is.

She still is getting a little confused and agitated. They tell me that is normal. Her tummy is distended and they say that is normal. Whatever normal is. Normal for cancer. I don't like this normal. The Lewis family has never been normal.

Our family is coming together...we are hearing from people from West Virginia, Michigan, Springfield...Shirley has spread her love all over. And it is coming back to us like you cannot believe. Her co-workers as well. She is an amazing woman. She is absolutely the best sister and daughter any person could ever want in a lifetime. We are so lucky.

I don't plan on leaving her side. I will be here as long as she needs me. Please feel free to write your comments to Shirley. I am relaying them to her every chance I get. Send your love her way....

Love from Room 5 at the Hospice House,

Teresa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell Shirley that her co-workers are all thinking of her and we miss her terribly. Our thoughts and prayers are with Shirley and her wonderful family. We all hope most - that she is free of pain. Wish we could be there, but with being spread across the US, let her know that doesn't stop us from caring. Teresa, thanks so much for these updates, we appreciate it. Laurie McIntyre.

Anonymous said...

Please pass onto Shirley that Kristi, Paige and Ang all love her and think of her each second. We are praying each and everyday. Teresa thank you for keeping us up to date.
God bless.
Kristi - Paige - Ang