January 15, 2009

Hospice House

Shirley did not have a very good night last night. She is very nauseated and her symptoms are getting harder and harder to control. So Shirley was given the option to stay at home or go to a hospice house. Shirley chose the hospice house. We want her to be comfortable and right now that just is not working being at home.

This place is awesome. The people are very nice and the it's very peaceful. She is in room 5 at the Kansas City Hospice at 123rd & Wornall. Visiting is probably not really an option. You are welcome to call and visit the family, but Shirley is not really up for visitors. She gets very agitated and upset easily. She has calmed down now and is in a pretty good sleep.

I do have a story of course for today. This morning at 8:15 as I was gearing up to go see our girl, my cell phone rang. It was Shirley's cell phone. I was sure when I answered it I would be talking to Mike. But sure enough it was Shirley. I couldn't really understand what she was saying but she was trying to tell me that she was nauseated and she needed medicine. Mike was already on the phone to the nurse but I guess that just wasn't good enough. She needed me and I wasn't there. So from this point on, I will be staying with her. I will not leave her side unless I absolutely have to. I cannot have that happen again.

She is in good hands and I think we are all a little more comfortable with her care here. Keep praying for our Shirley and our family. We are needing it more everyday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teresa - You are truly an amazing person. The closenss of you family is a wonderful thing. Please know that my thoughts and prayers continue to be with Shirley and your family.

Tina

Anonymous said...

Love you all,
Robin

Anonymous said...

Our hearts continue to be there with the entire family and all those who are close to Shirley. There are no words, no classes, no experiences that can prepare anyone for such a time as this. Only God can touch breaking hearts. Nonetheless it still hurts. We continue to lift you all up that you may feel the peace and release that only He can provide. Teresa, this blog has been a remarkable tribute to the loving family bond that you all share. Thank you allowing all of us to be in the loop. Love Aunt Carolyn & Uncle Dan