May 01, 2009

Another Sister's Tribute

When I got into work this morning, I had an email from a very nice lady who also posts on the same website www.cholangiocarcinoma.org. She lost her sister to this horrible disease also. Going to this website and reading other peoples stories and sharing mine has been somewhat comforting. This website helped me know what to expect with Shirley's disease and come to terms very early on with the fact that it would eventually take her away from us. I want to share this email with whoever reads my blog because Jane obviously wants the world to know how much she loved her sister and how special their relationship was. And how much it hurt to lose that person. I felt whenever I read her posts on the website I was reading about my own pain and loss. Here is her email:

Teresa.

This was the tribute my husband read to my sister from me at her funeral, I would like to share it with you:


Caroline was a sister to be proud of she always looked after Jane right through their childhood. Jane remembers how they both had one of these girls worlds which was a girls head that you could do the hair and make up. Once Jane remembers how Caroline was always kept in a perfect condition so Jane decided to give it a new punk look and Jane recalls she never saw her sister so mad.

It has to be said that she did get her own back though as on many occasions when Caroline and Jane had been left to do the Tea Dishes Caroline would make a potion from Tomato Ketchup, vinegar, salt and anything else she could find and Jane’s punishment was to drink it before she was allowed to leave.

Caroline and Jane’s childhood was very happy, they would frequently travel up to Scotland to see their gran-parents, Aunties, Uncles and cousins. Their Dad would pull up outside their Grannies house and Caroline and Jane would race up the stairs to the flat to see who could ring the bell first. Jane also remembers how they would on every visit to Campbeltown have a trip to the local toy shop “Dunken Browns” it was a childs dream. A toy shop which had a big counter with all the toys on the others side. Their Dad would say to them before they went with Granny Colville, “now something small only!” Caroline and Jane would nod dutifully and know they would be in trouble if they did not do as their dad told them.

Unfortunately Jane would forget this on entering the toy shop and whilst Caroline had been good and only got a modest toy Jane would return with the biggest package from the shop, and once again she would be in trouble.

Caroline was the best sister you could have, and never let Jane down ever, when Jane ever needed her she would be there within hours and everything in her life would be put on hold to do what she could for Jane. They had such loyalty for one another that no-one could break.

Caroline sent Jane some cards during her illness and Jane feels it appropriate to read the verses:

In childhood we did not understand the gift wrapped up in a greater plan. Time has taught us about the bond of love, and through that love we have chosen friendship.We have learned together, sharing the good times and the bad, and no matter what, there has always been love, you are my sister always and my friend forever.

Sisters aren’t afraid to break the rules defend each other, take chances on one another, and be there when life’s pretty and when it’s not. They share memories and hopes and dreams. They have an unbreakable bond. No one can ever take the place of a sister thank you for being mine.

Our lives will never be the same without you, I miss you so very much.


I am sad for Jane. I am sad for me. I am sad that Caroline and Shirley had to suffer with such a horrible disease.

Thanks for reading.

Teresa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that tribute from Jane. It was nice to hear about her memories of her sister too. :) Thank God for the good times that were shared & memories that will last us our lifetime!

Tracy