September 29, 2009

Pumpkins

Another memory...Almost every fall, especially when our kids were little kids, we would pile them all in a car and go to the pumpkin patch. It was perfect because we would do the hay rides and the kids would have so much fun together. Between the two of us...we have 5 kids. Back in the day, we did not have a vehicle that fit seven people with seven seatbelts. I am guessing this was about 10 or 11 years ago and off we went on our way to a pumpkin patch. Here's where it gets crazy...Shirley was driving. I think we had squeezed two kids into one seatbelt...I know that's wrong...but at the time we didn't have any other choice. So...back to Shirley driving. I bet you can't guess....she was speeding. My kids were probably 5, 6 and 8 at the time. Sure enough...we get stopped by the police for speeding. I promise you that when 5 and 6 year old little boys get stopped by the police...they never forget it. And mine have not ever forgotten. They teased her about that even when they became teenagers. The pumpkin patch was a success but the big story that day was us getting pulled over the police. Shirley did not get a ticket that day...and after we let out a big sigh of relief...we laughed all the way home.

I love telling those stories. It's just like I can take myself back to a time when we would sit around and laugh about those memories. I miss her laugh and how good she made me feel. But that helps when I write that story on here.

I think that may be one of the hardest things for me. Finding the right time and place to tell my Shirley stories. I want to tell them all day. It just doesn't happen. And people are really missing out. There is nothing better in the whole world than a Shirley story. Except Shirley here to tell it.

I am doing a lot better. At least I think I am. I feel like I am. So for now... that's good.

Love,

Teresa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great story and memory. I certainly enjoy hearing the stories. It is so awesome that you have so many wonderful memories about Shirley.

I am glad you are feeling better. Hope you have a good week.

Love
Tina

Anonymous said...

So when can we start sharing the off-color funny stories we have with Shirley??? :)

Love,
Paige and Kristi

Anonymous said...

Hey Teresa,

Glad you are feeling & doing better!! :) That is a good story..even better that you guys got off the hook from the ticket!

Love ya,
Tracy

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. You have so many happy memories..I hope you keep sharing them with us. It certainly gives me a lift and a laugh.

Have a great day,

Dusty