March 31, 2010

Beliefs

We all have different beliefs when it comes to everything in our lives. Religion, politics, raising children...and dealing with grief. Personally, I do not believe in going to a grief counselor. I do not believe in medicating yourself to numb the pain you are feeling. Grief counselors know how to help you deal with your grief...but I don't believe in sitting down and trying to tell a complete stranger what has just happened to you in your life and expect them to understand the depth of your pain and the traumatic experiences you have been through. There is no way they could comprehend how close you were to that person. So to me it is all generic advice...and 99% of the time they would love to give you a prescription and send you on your way.

So for myself I deal with it the best I can. In my own way. Not everyone is happy about that decision. And I understand that. But it's the way I am going to do it.

It may affect other people in my life. It may not be fair the way that I have changed because of what has happened. But as we have all learned...life is not fair. Nothing in life is fair. So if things happen that are not fair... Shirley getting cancer was not fair. Me having to lose Shirley was not fair.

Bottom line...Nothing is fair anymore.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you, TLM

roxigirl said...

d

roxigirl said...

Sorry about the "d" message.

Just wanted you to know that I know what you mean by the grief you are feeling and how it changes who you are. After almost 4 years of grieving I'm still trying to figure out who I am after the passing of my Dad. Your tribure to Shirley is very touching.
Melodie (from High School)

Anonymous said...

I agree Teresa, no one can really know the extent of the grief you are dealing with...like you said, everyone handles things different and we all do the best we can and get through things the best we can. I don't think one can ever get over the passing of someone that was soo close to them. It's not fair that we always feel the way we do, but unfortunatly that's how it is and you are soo right that life really isn't fair!!

I hope you get a good nights rest tonight & I hope the sunshine comes to brighten your day tomorrow. I love you and think of you often..

Love,
Tracy